Carsten Niepelt is a Patent Attorney with the firm Peterreins Schley. With more than 25 years of professional experience Carsten joined the firm in 2022. His practice emphasizes patent litigation and patent prosecution including opposition and appeal cases.
Prior to joining the firm Carsten owned a patent law firm advising clients in appeals, oppositions, and infringement cases as well as in patent prosecution. On the business side, Carsten advises clients in creating and implementing IP strategies, conducting due diligences in mergers and acquisitions (M&A), and fostering innovations. He possesses competence in economy and business strategy based on a Master of IP Law and Management.
Before, Carsten worked for German patent law firms including working extensively in patent litigation in the field of mobile communication for a German non-practicing entity. Further, he worked as an in-house patent counsel at Infineon Technologies.
SPECIAL TECHNICAL EXPERTISE INCLUDE:
- electronics (robotics, sensors, computer technology, AR/VR, 3D printing, smart cards, control systems, graphical simulations)
- telecommunications (mobile communication including experience with international standards, wireless communication, mobile devices, networks)
- software (encryption, authentication, user interfaces)
- automotive engineering (autonomous driving, navigation systems, access systems)
- medical devices (pacemakers, imaging techniques)
- Drafting a defensive strategy for a major German automotive manufacturer in an infringement case on multimedia devices.
- Repelling a preliminary injunction on mobile devices issued during an international consumer electronics fair in Berlin for a Chinese multinational electronics manufacturer.
- Participating in an $1,6 billion patent infringement case of a German IP rights licensing company.
- Guiding IP issues of a PV control company’s sale.
- Managing IP matters of a joint venture with one of the largest Japanese Electronics companies.
- Opposing a range of competitor’s patents of a German security company.
- Handling all IP issues of transforming an international metalworking company from a pure supplier to an innovative company.
- Opposing a range of competitor’s patents of an international machine tool company.Managing IP matters of a joint venture with one of the largest Japanese Electronics companies.
- Advising on an innovation policy for medical technology for the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research.